Brisco S. (2007). Which Wiki is Right for You? School Library Journal. Retrieved Oct. 18, 2010, from http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6438167.html
I read the article “Which Wiki is Right for You”, by Shonda Brisco, off of the School Library Journal. In this article, Shonda talks about three different types of wiki’s that are great and easy to use, especially for educators. These three wiki’s are called: PBWiki, Wikispaces, and Wetpaint. These are all wiki’s their own pros and cons.
PBWiki is easy to use. What I find interesting is that the PB stands for “Peanut Butter”. The creator uses this because they claim that PBWiki is, “just as easy to make as peanut butter sandwiches.” It’s also allows you to start with 10 MB of free memory, choose from 3 different types of looks for you wiki, and is advertisement free. If more space is needed, PBWiki has three plans from which you can upgrade from.
Wikispaces starts you off with 2 Gigabytes of memory. It too is an advertisement free website. Also, this has special plans that range from five to hundred dollars for more space up to 40 Gigabytes. You just need a user name, email address, wiki name, and you need to decide whether your wiki be public or private to register.
Wetpaint sounds the best to me. This is a wiki site that’s free of size with unlimited amounts of storage. It also promotes a feel to your wiki by offering twenty four different page styles. Also, email notifications are sent to your email when new information is added or changed. Unlike the other two wiki-sites, Wetpaint has advertisements which could be distracting.
As far as wiki use for me, I don’t think I’ll ever use one. I don’t really get them. I know they’re easy to use, but I just don’t think I’m interested in them nor will be.

No comments:
Post a Comment