Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Article C

Cole, Sonja. June 4, 2009. “25 Ways to Teach with Twitter”, Tech&Learning. Retrieved Oct. 6, 2010, from, http://www.techlearning.com/article/20896
I read the article, “25 Ways to Teach with Twitter”, by Sonja Cole.  She explained different ways you can utilize the profession of education using Twitter.  First off, what is twitter?  Twitter is a micro-blog.  It allows you to tell your followers what you need to tell them in just 140 characters.  Many celebrities use Twitter.  I had a Twitter account, but then deleted it because I figured it was pointless to have.  Recently though, I just reactivated it though.  I’m following a guy named Dwight Howard.  He’s the center for the Orlando Magic.  He uses his Twitter all the time.  He doesn’t really talk about himself in a bragging type of way unlike some celebrities would do.  He does a lot of events.  He was really big into a charity event for Haiti. 
Going back to the point, I found three targets that teachers can use Twitter for.  These three targets are, students, parents, and other teachers.  With students, educators can have their students become followers.  Since most students have cell phones, they can have twitter updates sent to their phone directly.  So the teacher can post something on their twitter such as a link and the students will receive it within seconds.  Parents can do the same thing.  They can follow their kid’s teacher and have updates sent to them as well.  Twitter would be a great way for parents to keep in touch with teachers. 
Teachers are the last target.  Twitter can be used to keep in touch with other educators.  Educators can help each other using Twitter.  Lesson plans can be briefly discussed, they can share different teaching methods, and they can also schedule meetings with one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment